Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Sept. 5





Today we went to The Petrified Forrest. It's only a 20 minute drive from Holbrook. We have been to the Painted Desert before which is part of the Forrest but we have never been through the whole thing. It took us about 3 and a half hours but I think we all had fun. We walked around quite a bit so it was good exercise with the added benefit of making the kids exhausted. They went to sleep tonight real early. We saw a lot of petrified wood of course but we also saw petroglyphs, dinosaur bones, a pueblo, a kiva and an awesome view of the Painted Desert. Petroglyphs are pictures that people made long ago(600-800 years ago) by chipping away darker rock to show the lighter rock beneath. They made pictures of lizards, snakes, birds, plants and even people. Close to the petroglyphs was the pueblo. A pueblo is like a small city. It was shaped like a rectangle with the living quarters making the outside walls and all the activities happening on the inside. There they would weave, grind corn and other grains and basically have everyday living. A kiva was a religious building that was actually dug into the ground. You would climb down a latter into it. All in all we had a fun day and took lots of pictures. I think I made Denyce and Garrisons day by letting them take pictures on my camera. My camera is called my 7th child so all the kids know how much I love it. I was really proud that they took some pretty darn good pictures. Garrison even said maybe he would learn "photology" like me. Silly kid ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment