Saturday, July 30, 2011

Check you for ticks

Summer is drawing to a close and school is about to start next week. This summer has been very good for us. We got a bedroom done, when on vacation to Utah, had very little family drama and I got a great tan at the pool. Lily and Mason learned to swim, Garrison grew a couple of inches and Denyce turned into an official teenager. But for me the most awsome thing that happened this summer is something that DIDNT happen. Every summer since Mason has started school he has developed a tick of some sorts. Last year it was a backward kick with his left leg every time he went threw a door. Let me tell you, you never realize how many doors there are in the world until you are dodging a kicking kid. The year before it was a head jerk to the side. These tick develop because as much as I would like to, I can't keep a schedule on track like a school can. Mason thrives on a school schedule. He knows exactly when every change will happen and it will be on time. He even has the social interaction that he desperately needs. For a kid with autism like Mason, school is a very important place.
So this summer I was looking for the new tick that Mason would show us. But it never appeared. I don't know if it is because of the medication he is on or the many many trips to the pool. Mason loves being under water. He says it's quiet under water. He loves going to the deep end, taking a deep breath, diving down and slowly coming back up. The huge grin on his face tells me he loves bobbing around like a cork.

No comments:

Post a Comment