Tuesday, August 9, 2011

You did WHAT!!!

Oh the surprising things you learn at church. When church ends and we are on our way home, Dwayne and I find it a good time to find out what the kids learned that day. You know when it's fresh in their minds. Never mind that we usually get the reply of "I don't know" and the ever amusing "I don't remember." Anyway on this particular Sunday, I was asking Dwayne how his substitution of the older teen class went. He answered that it went fine but he purposely didn't get to the end of the lesson. Curious I asked why. " It was about circumcision." was his response. So we went back and forth on the reasons why they would have that topic in a lesson in the first place and the squeamishness of 16 year old girls on the topic as well, when we hear the question "Dad, what's circumcision?" It doesn't surprise me that is was Garrison that asked the question. Out of all of my kids, Garrison is the most curious and the bravest when it comes to asking the uncomfortable questions. When I was pregnant with Aubrey, he would ask me all types of questions about the baby and everything that went with it. The best question was how the baby could breath in my tummy because of all the liquid in there. I explain to him about the umbilical cord and all that it does for the baby. He was fascinated. When Dwayne got home from work that night, he eagerly repeated all that he had learned about the baby. He especially wanted dad to know all about the EXTENSION cord that did so much for the baby in mommy's tummy. Dwayne and I love that story.
But I regress, back to the circumcision, Garrison was understandably horrified when he learn all that it entailed. I believe "Ewwww gross!!!" was his main reaction. Dwayne explained that we did this procedure on both him and Mason when they were babies so they wouldn't even remember what happened. It was then that we heard a little voice from the back of the Suburban. Mason demanded "You did WHAT to my penis?!!" I laughed all the way home and Dwayne just about drove off the road. I guess he pays way more attention to the conversations around him then we ever realized!

No comments:

Post a Comment